The AUSTSWIM INF course provides the candidate with the competence required to deliver safe and enjoyable aquatic activity programs for children between the age of six months to four years of age.
INF Course Requirements
Candidates are required to:
- have an AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety Licence.
- have a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
The course consists of theory and practical components:
- Theory component – topics may be offered through classroom attendance or selected topics via AUSTSWIM’s e-learning centre.
- Practical component – involves swimming activities that may be carried out in shallow or deep water.
The course consists of approximately 8 – 14 contact hours (theory and practical), plus supervised on the job teaching hours. Topics include:
- Philosophy of infant and preschool aquatics
- Early childhood development
- Teacher, parent and child relationships
- Health, hygiene and water safety
- Water familiarisation
- Aquatic skill development
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
Your competency of skill, knowledge and understanding in delivery of swimming and water safety will be assessed using the 7 subject areas of the course listed above during the face to face, online and industry training components.
- Practical teaching hours including observation, supervised teaching and assessment of teaching competency.
- Show evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) award.
- Teacher Declaration (completed on-line with theory exam).
- Submit photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence™.
Vocational Education Training
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Infant and Preschool Aquatics™ accreditation and as a result be issued the AUSTSWIM Teacher Of Infant and Preschool Aquatics Licence.
Note: when you complete an AUSTSWIM extension course your AUSTSWIM licence will automatically be renewed for a further 3 years from the date when the extension licence is issued. If you complete your AUSTSWIM course after the initial 12 months (or your AUSTSWIM Licence has previously expired) your licence may be subject to backdating.
Candidates will also be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following Unit of Competency from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package:
- SISCAQU011 Promote development of infants and toddlers in an aquatic environment