Use your passion for swimming and water safety to start a career that makes a difference to our communities. An AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety has an influential role that engages and interacts with students (4 years – adults) leading skills and drills that provide knowledge, skill and understanding in water safety and swimming in pools and confined natural shallow water venues.
Certification is valid for three years.
TSW Course Requirements
- May enrol in an AUSTSWIM course at 16 years of age but are not eligible to receive the certification until they are 17 years of age.
- Are required to have a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
This interactive course is delivered in a blended format. It consists of approximately 16-20 hours of face to face delivery, an interactive online learning component together with supervised on the job teaching experience in a range of environments and teaching conditions. An assessment is required on both practical and theory components of the course. Topics include:
- Introduction – an overview of AUSTSWIM and the aquatic industry
- Plan, deliver and review a lesson
- How people learn
- Being an effective teacher
- Principles of movement in water
- Aquatic safety, survival and rescue skills
- Water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility
- Teaching safer diving skills
- Towards efficient stroke development
- Legal responsibilities for the AUSTSWIM Teacher
Your competency of skill, knowledge and understanding in delivery of swimming and water safety will be assessed using the 10 subject areas of the course listed above during the face to face, online and on-the-job training components.
- Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct.
- Complete a brief online course evaluation
- Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) Certificate.
- Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety Certificate™ and as a result be issued the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety Teacher Licence.