The AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics – Access and Inclusion course is designed to provide the knowledge and information required to deliver programs and services that meet the needs of a diverse range of people who use the aquatic environment.
Originally known as AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics for People with a Disability, this course has been updated and extended to reflect the growing size and diversity of today’s communities. AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics – Access and Inclusion adopts an educational approach and provides a positive directive to AUSTSWIM teachers of swimming and water safety to provide aquatics access and inclusion to all people regardless of:
- chronic condition
- culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD).
TAI Course Requirements
Candidates are required to:
- have an AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety Licence.
- have a reasonable level of fitness and swimming ability.
The course consists of approximately 8 contact hours (theory and practical), an online learning component, plus supervised on the job teaching hours. Topics include:
- A journey through aquatic participation
- Safety and legal issues
- Communication and perception
- Plan, deliver and review
- Skills for movement through the water
Your competency of skill, knowledge and understanding in delivery of swimming and water safety will be assessed using the 5 subject areas of the course listed above during the face to face, online and industry training components.
- Complete the Teacher Declaration by agreeing to abide by the AUSTSWIM Code of Conduct
- Complete a brief online course evaluation
- Provide evidence of holding a current cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) statement of attainment.
- Submit an endorsed photo for AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence.
Vocational Education Training
On successful completion of all course requirements candidates will receive the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Aquatics – Access and Inclusion Teacher Licence.
Note: when you complete an AUSTSWIM extension course your AUSTSWIM licence will automatically be renewed for a further 3 years from the date when the extension licence is issued. If you complete your AUSTSWIM course after the initial 12 months (or your AUSTSWIM Licence has previously expired) your licence may be subject to backdating.
Candidates will also be issued a Statement of Attainment for the following Units of Competency from the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package:
- SISCAQU012 Assist participants with a disability during aquatic activities
- SISXDIS001 Facilitate inclusion for people with a disability