Swimming teachers who currently hold an international swimming teacher qualifications and are wishing to seek work in Australia do have the opportunity to have their qualifications recognized with AUSTSWIM through the recognition of prior learning process.
The International RPL process is only applicable in Australia and New Zealand. In other countries discuss RPL options with the AUSTSWIM Course Provider.
Eligibility for RPL requires candidates to:
- Demonstrate competency in aquatic skills and knowledge
- Successfully complete AUSTSWIM accreditation requirements
AUSTSWIM RPL Process – Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety
- The following assessment elements must be successfully completed to gain the AUSTSWIM Teacher Licence – Swimming and Water Safety.
- Please Note: Candidates must be 17 years of age to gain the AUSTSWIM Licence.
INTERNATIONAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Together with your application form, submit the following:
- A copy of one of the recognized international certificate.(See list below).
- Where the certificate is over 3 years since issue date you must also submit evidence of employment as a swimming teacher within the past 3 years ie letter from your employer
AUSTSWIM currently recognizes certificates issued from the countries listed below;
- Canadian Red Cross Instructors Award
- UK ASA/UKCC Level 2 certificate for Teaching Aquatics (England, Ireland, Scotland & Wales)
- Canadian RLSS lifesaving instructor
- UK STA Certificate in Swimming Teaching
- American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor
- Swimming NZ Diploma in Swim Teaching
- YMCA USA Aquatic Instructor
- Swimming South Africa LTS
- If you don’t hold one of the above certificates you will be required to undertake a full AUSTSWIM course.
- The International RPL process is only applicable in Australia and New Zealand. In other countries discuss RPL options with the AUSTSWIM Course Provider.
3 Step Process to AUSTSWIM Accreditation and Licence
Step 1. Complete the application form and pay the applicable fee.
Step 2. Attend Day 1 of the AUSTSWIM Teacher of Swimming and Water Safety course and successfully complete areas of study that include;
- Lesson planning and practical delivery
- Rescue Competencies and the Continuous Aquatic Sequence
Step 3. Complete the following post course requirements:
Online theory assessment, this includes agreeing to and signing confirmation of your willingness to abide with and commitment to:
- The AUSTSWIM Declaration
- The AUSTSWIM Teachers Code of Behaviour
- Complete the workplace based training element